Saturday, June 16, 2007

line in the sand


Each of us has a line in the sand. Our lines may signify different experiences, but we all have points in our lives when we draw our line and refuse to move. These lines are where our reality ends and faith begins. Stepping over the line brings us into a relationship with God that is alive and real.


Last weekend I had the joy of going on a retreat with 16 random people. We are preparing to travel halfway around the world on a short-term missions trip. The weekend was amazing. One of our leaders shared a devotion on laying our burdens down. After the devotion we went out on the beach with stones signifying our burdens. Before returning our assignment was to do business with God and toss our stones into the ocean. I remember standing on the water's edge with a load that I had carried for months. I drew my line in the sand and stood toe to toe with God. After much prayer I let go and hurled my stone into the ocean. The huge vast ocean swallowed up my tiny insignificant stone. God's love is that way...in the grand scheme of life His love will swallow us up. It will forgive our sin, cancel out the debt we owe, and overwhelm us with new life.


"You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you." Nehemiah 9:6

No comments: